Sunday, June 7, 2015

Guest Designer-Maria Fischer

Hello friends!
Today I am welcoming our next guest designer--Maria Fischer from rieslingmama! Recently I joked to Maria over Facebook that she reminded me of the song "how do you solve a problem like Maria" (from "The Sound of Music").... But honestly, I want to say: "How do you create a trendy card like Maria?"

Maria is a thinker when it comes to designing and adding elements to her cards. Her designs are always fresh, clean and stylish. Her creations with watercolor, stitching and vellum are especially divine....take it away, Maria!

Maria: Immediately charmed by the lineup of chairs in varying green tones on the mood board, I decided to line up some die cuts in a similar fashion. But which die? I settled on this cute little fawn from Kesi Art and decided it would make the perfect baby card. Kinda like the four older siblings welcoming the newest addition to the family :)
Maria: A pack of cardstock delivered four of the teal tones that I needed. I added a fifth, following the design rule of three or five. I kept the rest of the card stark white to let the die cuts have center stage, adding only a sentiment from STAMPlorations heat embossed on vellum. Well, and the dry embossed dotted background which mimics the sweet, little dots on the fawns behinds. See?
Maria: So many possibilities with this design. How about pink onesies for a baby girl? Or orange flowers for a birthday card? Or black/gray die cut letters spelling out "congrats" for a chic anniversary card?
Maria: On to my next card. Intrigued by the model's black ombre gown on the mood board, the ideas swarmed in my head about how to achieve that seamless dip-dyed look. How about dip-dying?
Maria: Now this is not for the faint of heart. Picture me holding a piece of thin watercolor cardstock with a clothespin, dipping it into a tall plastic container filled with water and purple pigment. Waiting for it to dry naturally to avoid "edges". Then dipping again. Then adding more pigment. Then dipping again. Get the picture?

Maria: Because my die cut sentiment was an afterthought (as it often is!) and my patience was exhausted, I dipped it four times, drying with the heat gun in between. You can make out the "edges" in the closeup. A few Studio Calico gold rub-on stars completed my card design. Couldn't cover up all that luscious dip-dye, ya know?


Maria: Want seamless monochromatic color schemes? Dip-dye. I dare ya :) How about dying fabric? Or ribbon? Otherwise, grab a big brush and your choice of watercolor and paint it on in layers ;)
I've got one more ombre card design for you, appropriate for this time of year. Know a graduate? Know his/her school colors? You can find the full details of my card here. Vielen Dank for having me, Virginia.
 
How about that? Aren't these two cards DELIGHTFUL? I must say Danke Scheon to Maria. Meeting her in Germany is still on my bucket list. Isn't this the beauty of getting to know crafting friends through blogging/card-making? Please stop by Maria's blog and leave her some love.
The gallery is filling up with gorgeous creations. I strongly suggest that you visit a few, leave each other some feedback and be inspired. Thank you for stopping by!



8 comments:

~amy~ said...

MARIA!!!!!!!
Maria rocks, her style is over the top AWESOME.
Love all this fabulous inspiration!

Maureen Reiss said...

Awesome cards!!

conil said...

Maria's so darn clever. First, the fawn card is perfect for a little one. Second, dip dyeing...brilliant and, oh so, lovely.

Darnell J Knauss said...

Maria has long been one of my card artist heroes, so it's wonderful to see her featured here, Virginia! Her inspiration cards speak for themselves about her amazing talent!! Hugs, Darnell

maria f. said...

Thanks for your lovely comments, ladies. And for having me here, Virginia. I must say, I like your bucket list ;)

My Paper Epiphany said...

Awww I love those deer Maria! Congrats on guest spot - perfect cards and wonderful inspiration!

Anita in France said...

Simply splendid inspiration from Maria, Virginia ...such splendid soft ombré ... and cute little bambi's! Anita :)

Taunya Butler said...

Well I have to concur with everyone else - MARIA IS A MARVEL!!! What an amazing job she has done with these wonderfully stylish and uber cool ombre cards!!! Super impressive and just such a delight!! Thank you, Virginia, for sharing her with us!! YOU both ROCK!!!