Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Guest Designer--Heather Hoffman

Hi there! 
Are you having fun with the All Things Embossed Challenge? I think so! The number of entries keep going up and up...there is still lots of time to enter.
It is my pleasure to introduce you to our guest designer--Heather Hoffman. When I first started to know about Heather, I noticed her unique and catchy blog name--House Built of Cards.
You see, Heather is a prolific card maker with huge talent and a BIG heart. Heather has won numerous stamping titles/competitions and publications. The cool thing about Heather is that she also donates her earning from cards to build houses in Burundi, Africa, through a ministry called Sister Connection. Hence, her blog name is House Built of Cards.

Now, please get a cup of coffee, snacks, drinks, cocktail...etc and settle yourself down for a real treat....


Heather: I’m super excited to be here guest designing on Virginia’s View Challenge! Virginia is always inspiring, kind, and ever so encouraging to everyone that plays along here! I made 3 cards today using this month’s technique – embossing! There are SOOOO many different ways to incorporate this on your cards, so I decided to hit on several! :)
First up, one fun technique I came up with – embossing on vellum in black, then coloring with Copic Markers to give a stained glass effect:
Heather: I used a Unity Stamp Company image – images with dark solid lines work best for this. Color quickly with your Copics for this technique, or the color will show lines – I think this is because the ink dries so quickly on the vellum! Here is a close up of the butterfly:
Heather: I also used one of my other favorite techniques combined with embossing – watercolors! I heat embossed my sentiment on watercolor paper, then used watercolor paints to color around it. Finally, I also debossed the solid cardstock with a couple of Papertrey Ink Impression Plates
Heather: Next up, I started thinking about different ways to incorporate embossing, and it hit me – Embossing Paste! Since embossing is all about adding dimension and texture, embossing paste is a perfect medium!
Heather: For this one, I used distress ink to blend a roughly shaped square on the front of my white cardstock, then used white embossing paste and a Hero Arts stencil. I also love heat embossing my sentiments on black cardstock – makes them pop so well, and adds a great grounding to the cute little Lawn Fawn image that I colored with Copics and fussy cut out before adhering with foam adhesive.

Heather: Finally, I thought I would try one with good old fashioned dry embossing!
Heather: I used an older embossing folder from my stash that is just so classic. Polka dots go with EVERYTHING! Matted it with a pinked edge die from Avery Elle, added another adorable Lawn Fawn image with a bit of vellum at the bottom to ground it, then again, heat embossed my sentiment on black cardstock and hand trimmed a banner.
Heather:  Thanks for stopping by – and thanks SOOOO much Virginia for inviting me! I am truly honored! And I hope you will join along and play this month with whatever form of embossing is your favorite – or stretch yourself and try something new! :)

 Are you amazed as I am? I think Heather's projects really showcase the Embossing theme perfectly. Thank you, Heather, for working hard on this guest design. It would be awesome if you can leave Heather's blog some love! I am sure you would want to rush to your craft desk to create now that you are feeling SO inspired.
Thank you for stopping by!

6 comments:

Thordis said...

Wow! These cards are amazing! You show so many fun ways to use embossing on cards... Thank you so much for sharing :)

~amy~ said...

gorgeous inspiration....I'm such a fan of Heather's work!

Kara Lynne said...

Heather's cards are fantastic! She is always so inspirational!

Shelly said...

These are all FABULOUS cards! Love them!

Grá O'Neill said...

Gorgeous cards Heather :)

Taunya Butler said...

Super impressive and I am definitely WOWed by you!! Thank you for your amazing post here today on Virginia's View Challenge blog!!!