Sunday, February 1, 2015

Virginia View Challenge #12

Happy February, my friends!
Welcome to the new challenge! I can't believe this is already the 12th one! Time flies when you are having fun! Well, the fun starts right now as we are into the month of LOVE! What can be more fitting than creating shaker cards? If you are new to card-making and are not familiar with shaker cards, you can find a few tutorials about making shaker cards.


Here are some great tutorials. You should definitely check them out if you haven't already.
Kristina Werner: Sewn Shaker Card
Nichol Magouirk: Shaker Card with Beads


You can use anything for your shaker card content: confetti, beads, sequins, flowers, hearts..and shape images (from punches and die-cutting). Sky is the limit! Think outside the box!


Your shaker element can be small or large.
thankslove    

You can also create faux shaker cards (see here).
XOXO
You can create any shape and sizes (see here)
close-up
My take on a shaker card.
love to you
I started out with creating the card front. With water-coloring, you can create any image you want. I placed foam tape underneath the large rectangle frame and added sequins and acetate on top. Voila!
Please gather your sequins, confetti, bits and pieces of die cut, beads....
 Let's start shaking!

This monthly card-making challenge blog will run till the 18th (11:55pm Eastern Time) and there will be a SPOTLIGHT feature of Top 10 Favorites on the 25th. Any style and all levels are most welcome! You can read more about the challenge guidelines at the bottom of the page.



Among the Top 10 Fav, there will be a random draw for a lucky (and talented) winner who will then receive the top prize. In order to qualify for the top prize, your project has to be NEW (not linked back to a previously made project). You are welcome to combine other challenges, but please limit your total number of challenges to no more than 4.


Our Sponsor: Simon Says Stamp 
http://www.simonsaysstamp.com/
Thank you, Simon Says Stamp!!


Our Top Winner (randomly selected from Top 10 Favorites) will receive a $25 voucher!
  AWESOME, eh?!

http://www.simonsaysstamp.com/servlet/StoreFront

39 comments:

Barb said...

Oh, I'm really hoping to play along this month, V! Love shaker cards! Your examples for us are all fantastic! Love the artsy feel of the last one with all those beautiful colors! ♥

Eveline said...

I love shaker cards. I will try to play along this month.
Eveline.

Virginia Lu said...

I hope you do, Eveline! You have 18 days to work on it/them :)

Virginia Lu said...

Thank you SO much, Barb! You are the SWEETEST! I hope that you join the fun!

Cat Craig said...

Fabulous cards, this will be fun. Definitely playing along.

Lisa Lara said...

Now that is some major inspiration Virginia.

Dawn Turley said...

very trendy Virginia. Love your samples.

Shona Chambers said...

Yippee! I LOVE shaker cards, can't wait to get 'shaking'!!!!!!!!!

Gunilla/Nilla said...

This is going to be so much fun! Love shaker cards AND the samples are beautiful and such great inspiration!

Have a lovely day/Gunilla

Marianne said...

This is going to another fun challenge. I made my second ever shaker card a few days ago (it's on my blog) and it's actually shaking a little, unlike the first one LOL. Practice makes perfect, rght? Love your water coloured shaker!

~amy~ said...

Yay! LOVE all the gorgeous inspiration!

Shelly said...

ACK! So fun!!! :) Love your shakers! Can't wait to play!

Thordis said...

Gorgeous samples of Shaker cards!
This is going to be such a fun challenge. Can't wait to play along :)

maria f. said...

Such a fun theme! Love your watercolored BG with that birdie.

Ruby N said...

I love shaker cards!!!

jintyoo7 said...

Challenge #12??? Oh my gosh - how did that happen?

Brilliant challenge again this month - who doesn't like Shaker cards? I don't have much time to craft at the moment but I will be delighted to see all the wonderful submissions.

Very fabulous samples, Virginia :-)

conil said...

You always have the trendy themes for your challenges. This one should be fun to watch. You've been shakin' up the blogosphere for some time with your awesome shakers.

Mandy LaCroix said...

These are so cute Ms Virginia. Love them all. :) happy February. :) hugs,
Mandy

Heather North said...

Very fun challenge, Virginia. Way to shake it up.

Broni said...

Your water colored shaker card is phenomenal! So beautiful!

Susie Wittwer said...

Love the inspiration you provided Virginia. Gorgeous!
I've just recently attempted a few shaker cards, so I just had to play along. It was so much fun!

Kara Lynne said...

Yay for shakers! You have so much variation in your shakers, I love it!

Jessica Frost-Ballas said...

Virginia, that watercolor shaker card is GORGEOUS! I love the little bird!

donna mikasa said...

Looking forward to get shakin' with this challenge and I love your samples, too!

Julia Altermann said...

Almost dropped my phone this morning when I saw that you had listed my video and name among such amazing people as Jennifer, Kristina, and Nichol! What an honor, I'm totally amazed and blown away. Thank you, Virginia! *off to plan a shaker card now*

Cindy C. said...

Awesome inspiration projects Virginia! I've just finished watching all the wonderful videos and had learnt new things about making shaker cards! I plan to play along and hope it doesn't take me too long to come up with something!! :)

Holly AKA KopyKat said...

Oh these are all so beautiful.

wienerhoneymooners said...

What about faux shakers?? No transparency, no movement! Thanks Virginia

Taunya Butler said...

OK, looks like NOW is a good time for me to get over my fear of making shaker cards and just give it a try!! What a fun opportunity and I hope to be in the gallery soon!!! Thanks, Virginia, for another fun challenge!!

Darnell J Knauss said...

Thank you for another fun challenge, Virginia! Your watercolored bird shaker is spectacular!! Hugs, Darnell

Jasleen said...

Wow ! Virginia, your shaker cards are just fabulous. I LOVE shaker cards, haven't made many, but I really had fun making this card that I just linked up. Thanks for sharing those links! :)

Milka Gubo said...

I love shaker cards and yours are AWSOME, Virginia! :-D Thank you for another great challenge. :-D

Martha said...

Virginia, what a FUN challenge, and what LOVELY inspiration you've provided!
I'm hoping to play along.

PiecesByEmily said...

Your shaker cards are just GORGEOUS! Thanks for such beautiful inspiration, Virginia!

Robyn Oliver said...

Hi Virginia, excellent challenge and wow what a fabulous lot of shaker cards everyone is making - we used to think it was a difficult thing to make a shaker card, but now days with die cuts there is endless ideas. Thanks for challenging us all again. Robyn

Helen Gullett said...

WOW Virginia.... lots lots of gorgeous shaker cards inspirations for this month challenge!

D- said...

Thanks for sharing your sweet shakers everyone.
Crafty hugs,
Dawn
DesignsByDragonfly {blogspot}

Jeanette M. said...

I just love all the fabulous shaker cards! Wonderful challenge, Virginia! :)

Lisa Lara said...

Oh I am just loving all the entries. Whoo Hoo and the guest..............wowee. Hope it is okay that I made Shaker TAGS Virginia.