Sunday, January 11, 2015

Guest Designer-Judy Marino

 This is another exciting day in our challenge blog. Each time I present to you a new guest designer, I feel like that I am introducing a new friend to you! Indeed, today's guest was an old stamping friend that I "met" through Hero Arts Flickr. Please welcome Judy Marino from Judy's Card Corner! Judy's creations are absolutely delightful! There is always a sense of sweetness in her clean and simple designs. Way back around 2009-2010, Judy had won the One Layer Challenge over Hero Arts; I took note and have been a fan of her work since....let's hear it from Judy!

Judy: Hello, friends! I'm so excited to be here today as a guest designer for Virginia's View! I am so grateful to Virginia for inviting me. I am beyond honored!
For my clean and simple, one-layered projects today, I revisited an idea that had been done before (I know Virginia and I have both done it!)...I decided to jazz up a set of blank thank you notes from the local craft store using one of my favorite stamp sets.
Judy: I purchased this package of thank you notes (my "clean slate") at the local craft store for $1.50. Inspired by the floral photos in Virginia's challenge photo, I decided to ink up my WPlus9 "Folk Art Florals" set and individualize a few cards. Here is what I came up with all together.
For my first card, I combined some Hero Arts inks and a Martha Stewart border punch for a true folk art floral card. I masked the inside of the card in order to run the ink pad cross the bottom so the border would stand out.
Judy: For my second card, I masked the center of the note card with a Post-It, then stamped a Hero Arts/Basic Grey background stamp to make a border around the edge of the card. I added score lines to accentuate the border, then stamped the flowers (inked with LePlume markers).
Judy: For my next card, I masked the center of the entire card to cover the sentiment, then stamped several flowers using coral and khaki Simon Says Stamp inks. Once I removed the mask, I stamped two extra leaves (using Hero Arts soft granite ink) and added score lines to accentuate the center. I like adding score lines -- I think they add some dimension and interest to an otherwise flat card.
Judy: I used several techniques on my last card. First I masked the sentiment with a Post-It. Next, I inked the inside of an embossing folder with Her Arts soft pool shadow ink. I ran it through my Cuttlebug, then removed the mask and stamped the flowers in the corner. 
Judy: Finally, I once again added some score lines for added interest. While there is more going on with this card's texture, it is still one layer and there is still plenty of white space. What I love about these cards is that they are all flat, easy to mail, and all unique. I hope to make more cards using this package of thank you notes...if I do, I'll be sure to link them up to the challenge! I hope I've inspired you to play with your favorite stamp set using different colors and layouts. I can't wait to see what "clean slate" projects you come up with! 

Well, aren't you in awe of Judy's projects? Her write-up of the creative process is thorough and clear. I feel that we are right in her stamping corner! Judy's way of using white space and dimensions (also the savvy purchase of the inexpensive envelops) are inspiring. 
 Please stop by Judy's blog and give her some blog love. Thanks for stopping by!


18 comments:

Judy1223 said...

Virginia, I just wanted to thank you again for inviting me to participate as a guest designer in this month's challenge...it was so much fun and you are so supportive and sweet! Your kind words are like a trophy in the crafting world (if they existed!)! I thank you again, my dear friend, for thinking of me. YOU are the best! :)

Barb said...

I love Judy and her awesome talent! What a fun idea to take a plain set of thank you cards and jazz them up! They turned out so beautifully too! Congrats to Judy! ♥

Milka Gubo said...

Oh WOW! These cards are gorgeous! :-D

joy said...

Judy is a very creative gal and it is so nice to see her cards featured here, Virginia! Love these pretty little note cards!

maria f. said...

Beautifully done, Judy. I just love #3.

Betty Keefe said...

all the cards are fantastic - love this idea!!

Anita in France said...

So good to see each of Judy's cards close up ... and read about how each was personalised! They're all so very charming! Anita :)

jintyoo7 said...

Great idea, Judy and they have all turned out beautifully - well done :-)

ThePurplePlace said...

What a fantastic IDEA -- Love it Judy and love ALL your creativity --- as always! So excited to see you here! <3

~amy~ said...

What a fun idea...love how Judy altered the cards!

Taunya Butler said...

What an amazing trick she did here!!! Judy made those cards not recognizable as the ultra simple ones they started out as - what a glorious treat it was to see the different ways she changed the cards!!! My favorite one was with the eyelet scalloped punched border at the bottom!! Super cute!! And again, Virginia finds another lovely way to showcase and compliment another's talents!! Love that about her - she has a super-sized heart!!!

Kara Lynne said...

What a fun way to make use of a plain, store-bought note, and so economical too! Judy is such a creative lady!

Shelly said...

YAY, Judy! Your cards are simply sweet and perfect! Love!

donna mikasa said...

Such an awesome idea, Judy! I love how your cards turned out and I'm smitten with the embossed one!

Barb Ghig said...

So much fun to see Judy's post here today! What a clever way to 'Jazz up' these charming note cards! I love every one, and can't wait to CASE her techniques!

Helen Gullett said...

Such a great idea! I have lots of note cards like these :) Thank you for the inspirations how to decorate them!

Carol McCready said...

Fantastic cards. That 3rd card uses my favorite embossing folder. Thank
you so much for the inspiration.

Sally said...

Beautiful cards as always, Judy. I enjoyed your interview and picked up several lessons for clean and simple.