Friday, November 7, 2014

Guest Designer-Tasnim Ahmed

Hello, dear friends! We are in for another TREAT today. 
The uber talented Tasnim Ahmed is in. the. house!

I first came to know Tasnim (Cards & Bookmarks) more than 2 years ago. I was on the Runway Inspired Challenge design team along with Tasnim and have been following her big talent ever since. Tasnim has one of those rare talents. She thinks like an Engineer (she is a Mechanical Engineer by training) and designs like an artist. It is no wonder that the stamp company Altenew (co-founded with the fabulous Jennifer Rzasa) has become the new darling stamp company that stampers simply love.

 Let's hear it from Tasnim, shall we?

Tasnim: I started my work on this card by painting the flowers. I didn't plan on how I was going to use them yet, I simply enjoyed water coloring the new Peony Scrolls from Altenew. I used 100 lb Bristol paper from Strathmore to water color the Peonies. I like that it is white and smooth, as opposed to the off-white color and the texture you get from standard water color papers. Of course, it all depends on what look you are going for, and what works best for you. As for the water color, I used Peerless water colors, which I have found to blend very well on Bristol paper.

 Tasnim: I stamped the flowers using a very light ink (Distress Antique Linen), then proceeded to coloring by first painting the petals with clean water, and then adding color at the base of the petals. If the petals were small, I let the water do most of the work, and if the petals were larger, I dabbed by brush to slightly spread the color. Very important to remember: don't paint petals that have a common border at the same time. Always paint petals that are not touching at any point, wait for them to dry, then proceed with the other petals. Once the flowers were painted and dry (another bonus for Bristol, it dries very quickly), I trimmed them out using micro-tip scissors.

Tasnim: I wanted to use a decorative metallic frame, but since I didn't have any such dies, I used the closest thing I had, an intricate round floral die by Memory Box together with Gold metal sheet from Add a Little Dazzle.
After I arranged the die cut and the flowers, I pondered over where to place the sentiment. I first used a Navy blue label sentiment on the lower left corner. I did not like how dark it was, and how it covered part of the flowers. I then stamped a semi-round sentiment from Clearly Besotted Stamps' Many Thanks set on white card stock and used a circle punch to punch it out. I think this worked much better, as it draws the eyes to to the right place, and it also recreated my original vision of using a frame.
 
Tasnim: (for my 2nd project), I used the flowers from Altenew's Whimsical Flowers to create the focal image in this card. First I embossed the outline images in gold on white card stock. Next I spritzed the flowers with Heidi Swapp's color shine. I used the colors Navy and Coral. Once they were dry, I trimmed out the flowers and arranged them on a Walnut Cream card base from Bazzill. The sentiment die and stamp are from Simon Says Stamp Expressions For You set.


Delicate, exquisite, stunning... are a few of the words that came to mind to describe Tasnim's projects!
 Big thanks to Tasnim for detailing her thoughts and creative process. With her wonderful explanations, we are able to understand and even pick up a few tips here and there. Please join me and give Tasnim some blog love. 

You can follow Tasnim's talent in her Cards & Bookmarks here and her company Altenew here. Altenew even has a monthly challenge and you will be pleasantly surprised at what you can create with their amazing stamps.
Thanks so much for stopping by!

20 comments:

Barb said...

LOVE Tasnim's cards! She has such an amazing talent!

My Paper Epiphany said...

Wow! These cards took my breath away!

Reusing Cards & Quilling said...

SUperb cards..

Tasnim said...

Thank you for having me Virginia, and thank you for the very kind words! This has been quite an honor!

aileen (mum) said...

Absolutely beautiful Tasnim. Such wonderful cards. Love them both and so glad I have ordered both these sets. Cant wait to try them.

mayholicraft said...

I totally agree with what you said about Tasnim's cards, Virginia! Delicate, exquisite, stunning...... I was surprised to see how watercolored flowers go perfectly with metal elements. Fabulous design! I also learned a few great tips on watercolrong. Thanks so much for sharing, Tasnim. (I've been working on some cards to enter the metallic challenge. Thanks for the great challenge, Virginia! This is so fun!) May

Colleen Dietrich said...

Tasnim is someone I follow too. I love her vision, and her execution. Beautiful samples here today!!

Hussena said...

Absolutely stunning cards Tasnim ..I just love the way you create your designs and so flawlessly execute them ..Everything about your cards look perfect to me :)
Thank you Virginia for this feature :)

Celeste Goff said...

Amazing cards Tasnim! You always bring your A game girl!

LauraJane:) said...

Shiny Goodness Tasnim!

~amy~ said...

Tasnim's style is absolutely WOW

Kelly Griglione said...

Tasnim certainly didn't hold anything back, did she?! Love reading about her thought process on materials used and the design of the cards. What a fabulous post!! The watercolor flowers are amazing. Thanks so much for having her, Virginia!

Marybeth said...

Oh my gosh, Tasnim’s cards are gorgeous!

conil said...

Always love to see Tasnim's extraordinary talent.

Cindy C. said...

Oh my Tasnim's cards are so gorgeous!!

Shelly said...

GORGEOUS cards!!! Love!

Manuela said...

wow,both cards are so beautiful, love the wonderful colored flowers.
Virginia, thank you for the highlighting my card at your facebook site, such a surprise to read the great news :-))
Manuela

Darnell J Knauss said...

Thank you to all the fabulous guest designers and thank you, V, for a perfect challenge for this time of year!! Hugs, Darnell

Nicole Parmentier said...

Awesome cards, so creative... love them both!

Robyn Oliver said...

I can't believe how many beautiful cards were posted...amazing, so many talented, imaginative and crafty people..who wouldn't be inspired by them. You've got a wonderful thing happening here, congrats, now I off to leave some comments. Robyn