Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Guest Designer-Taheerah Atchia

Hello, my friends! Let's welcome our first guest designer for All Things Metallic Challenge. I have known Taheerah for quite some time now. She first appeared in the limelight in Gallery Idol 2012 and has been a powerhouse in card-making ever since. Taheerah's approach is always authentic, organic and detailed. I am often impressed with her glittery and trendy designs. We are so lucky to have Taheerah with us for this challenge! 

Hi everyone! I'm Taheerah and I am so super-excited and honoured to be guest designing for Virginia's View Challenge this month!!
I'm a 30-plus-a-few Londoner now living in the North West of England with my beautiful cats. I work in IT by day and craft by night! I love all things geeky - having a background in science and working in my profession I guess that can't be avoided! I've always been creative but stamping and cardmaking have truly captured my heart and my imagination. I love experimenting with most styles and am definitely a huge lover of trends. I really thrive on pushing my skills and creative eye to the limit, so my work is frequently packed with techniques, outside-the-box uses of product, and clever details! The current Virginia's View Challenge could not be more perfect for me as everyone knows how much I love gold and other metallics - so much so that I made *two* cards for my guest post, and I could very easily have kept going!!

For my first card I wanted a modern, light feeling, so I kept a lot of white space to let that gold shine! I love to get extra uses from my supplies, so I used a falling snow stencil with embossing paste, but then added gold embossing powder and heat embossed it whilst still wet to give a raised, confetti-like effect!!
When you have a striking detail such as this background it makes sense to let it do all the talking and keep the rest of the detail minimal. Here I added a delicate black die-cut sentiment and then mounted my panel onto a white card base for a fresh look. Gold + black + white = one of my favourite combinations!
For my second card, I wanted to show how flipping the proportions of the colours could give instant drama. I took a shimmery black card base and added some gold glitter tape across it to give the stripes. I die cut my letters from some metal sheets and adhered them straight over the top for a big, bold look.
To finish up, I pulled in some of that white but in a much smaller role for my supporting sentiment, and just a little added touch with a wood veneer star coated in white ink and enamel accents. This card screams for your attention and it's very hard to deny it that!
I thought I'd finish up with some of my own tips for using metallics on a card:
  • Pairing metallics with lots of white space gives a fresh, modern look, and allows the metallic to really take centre-stage without making the project feel 'heavy'
  • Metallic supplies will instantly grab the light and your focus, so think about whether you want to keep them to accenting a project or whether you want to exploit them to their full advantage and give them prominence on your design
  • For a quick and easy way to glam up a project you can't go wrong with some splatter of your favourite metallic mist!
  • Don't be afraid to mix different metallic colours and finishes. The results can be spectacular! To prevent the project feeling 'overcrowded' balance the design by having one metallic featured more than the other
  • There are so many different metallic products on the market today, so just experiment and have fun!
  • If you'd like to read a more in-depth analysis of the gold trend, I wrote a Trend Requiem post which was featured on the Moxie Fab World blog last year. Gold is still going strong and I highlighted some other inspiration images, projects and supplies, so it's worth a read!
 Isn't Taheerah rocking amazing or what? I am so digging her gorgeous gold projects, creative process and her insightful tips! Please join me to thank Taheerah for going above and beyond for this guest design. Taheerah also hosts an inspiration challenge Cure for the Monday Blues (see example here) every Monday right in her blog. It's fun and full of inspiration! It will be awesome if you follow Taheerah's talent in her blog here.  Please make sure that you leave her some blog love!
Thanks so much for stopping by!

8 comments:

Rahmat said...

Such pretty cards, great inspirations, I love Taheerah's work :)

~amy~ said...

Yay for Taheerah! Awesome inspiration!

jintyoo7 said...

Taheerah is an incredible card maker and these two beauties are no exception :-0

Shelly said...

Woohoo, Taheerah! Your cards ROCK! Love!

Tenia Nelson said...

Awesome cards, T!!

Miriam Prantner said...

Gorgeous card! Love the simplicity of the first with that gold 'snow' and the second is just so commercial and graphic and bold!

Kelly Griglione said...

So glad you asked Taheerah to guest on your challenge, Virginia! She rocks. And, I see, did not disappoint with the two cards here. The last striped card with the awesome MERRY font and the tiny star in the "R" is such a stunner! Wow!

Manuela said...

great challenge and super inspiration cards, love especially the first one!