Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Guest Designer-Keren Baker!

Hello, it's Veteran's Day in the US and Remembrance Day in UK and Canada.
Today we have a special guest  Keren Baker who was previously our guest designer for stitching challenge. Keren is sharing her talent on how to add a little metallic dazzle to your projects.

We are starting Keren's projects with a Poppy flower card.

Keren: Today in the UK is Remembrance Day where we remember all those fallen in the wars. We are forever thankful for their sacrifice. It's a day of gratitude and we mark it with poppies. Poppies were chosen because of the poem 'In Flanders Fields'. They bloomed across some of the worst battlefields of Flanders in World War I, their brilliant red colour became a symbol for the blood spilled in the war.
Keren: I was inspired to create the Poppies card using the Brushed Poppies set. Because this set is a solid stamp, you can't really stamp on the metal and show the metal through (like you would with an outline image). You can sometimes stamp the image on the reverse and cut out & use the shape, but you have several parts to the set & can't stamp on the reverse of paper  or the colour won't show. I wondered how I could use the metal so tried stamping and embossing in clear embossing powder. It worked and gave a lovely sheen and texture too. Definitely a technique I'll be using on my metal sheets again.
Keren: For the other metallic element, I chose some metallic spray inks to add a shimmer without detracting from the image. Spraying directionally also helps with movement in the design. Do try some metal on your cards or tags- you can see that you can use a whole plethora of products to get this gorgeous metallic look.
Products: Brushed Poppies Stamp set (Clearly Besotted), Scarlet Red metal (Add A Little Dazzle), Red & Gold Spritz inks (Artiste), white embossing powder

Keren's 2nd card.
Keren: When using metallic products, it's easy to go over the top. Remember those days of tons of mirror card? (shudder!!) In this card, I cut out the Mama Elephant tag from white card stock, and added Distress Inks to add depth. I spritzed a little water to give some white areas & punched out a tag hole. I threaded some thin gold metal (Add A Little Dazzle), bent it & secured with glue. I cut out some Perfect Peacock metal with the stars from the Mama Elephant tag dies, sprinkled them over the card base & affixed them to the base. I used my second metal element; embossing powder- simple embossing using the beautiful Neat & Tangled stamp set. For the last metallic supply I used my favourite metallic ink (Gold Stazon) with the lovely star flurry from the Bowtiful stamp set (Waffle Flower Crafts). It just shows you can have lots of different metallic elements, still keep the card CAS & not too over the top!


Products: Dreams Neat & Tangled,  Mama Elephant Embellished Tags ,
Metal: Perfect Peacock by Add A Little Dazzle
Star stamp from Bowtiful by Waffle Flower,
Others: Gold Embossing powder, Distress inks ( Peacock Feathers, Mowed Lawn, Shabby Shutters) by Ranger

Isn't Keren the BEST? This prolific card maker is super busy with lots of ongoing DT work and  I am thrilled that she was able to create for us. I hope that our guest designers Taheerah, Tasnim and Keren inspire you to create metallic projects. You can visit Keren's inspiring blog here.

Remember, we have two prizes for this month's challenge (a Simon Says Stamp $25 gift voucher and $15 Gift Pack of Metal Sheets from Add a Little Dazzle). Thanks for stopping by!

11 comments:

LauraJane:) said...

Way to add metallic without the Heavy metal feel Keren:)

Barb said...

Love both of these beautiful creations from Keren!

My Paper Epiphany said...

Stunning prjects! I was wondering what adhesive you used for the die cut metal - I had trouble using glossy accents

keren said...

Thanks! For this project I used a PVA glue. I sometimes use a small dotted adhesive on a tape roller too. Hth! x

Tenia Nelson said...

What awesome projects!!

~amy~ said...

Yay for Keren!!!

Shelly said...

Oh, my! These are GORGEOUS!!!

jintyoo7 said...

Absolutely beautiful, Keren!

Amazing gallery of entries for this wonderful challenge, Virginia :-)

Pam Sparks said...

awesome challenge Virginia! So many gorgeous entries too and lovely cards from Karen! TFS!

Harriet said...

Keren............Your cards are lovely. Metallic really stumps me but you sure used it beautifully. Thank you.

Pam Sparks said...

Awesome challenge Virginia! Thx for the fun!