Sunday, June 1, 2014

Virginia's View Challenge # 4

Welcome to June's Challenge! 
This month we are thinking of Spring cleaning, keeping things simple and all things GREEN.
And that is why we are having a Tag and Scrapling Challenge.
You can make a tag or scrapling or both. 
The twist is you have to incorporate a recycled item into your project.

About tags: you can create your own tags with/without diecut. You can trace an actual tag's shape to make your own. Basically tags should have strings, twines,....ribbons attached to them.

About scraplings: they are basically the scraps that you end up with after you cut from your 11x14 card stock (when you make a 4 1/4" x 5 1/2" card). You can easily fold the rectangular paper into a a small tall card ( see the top left inspiration photo --courtesy of Jacqueline De Groot)

Recycle item:
things deemed to be junk. They can be anything from envelopes, packaging, toilet paper rolls, old labels, scrap paper, old fabric, twist ties, plastic straws, old magazine, used wrapping paper, clothing tag, old buttons....etc. A lot of everyday household items can be incorporated into your designs, too! You can get some more ideas here.

tag (V. V. Challenge #4)

Any types or styles in this challenge are welcome. They can be Shabby Chic, Modern and Graphic, Clean and and Simple or Ornate and Elegant. I made a tag tutorial and you will see what I mean....
1. Use Distress Stain  (Picket Fence) to prepare the white wash surface, let dry
2. Apply Gelatos, then rub the surface till the colors are even (with a damp finger)
3. Apply "Rub and Seal" with old dictionary paper (my recycle item) and BG pattern paper
4. Apply Distress Inks (Vintage Photo and Peacock Feathers)

5- 6. Mix white embossing paste with Peacock Feathers till it's blended
7. Apply the paste over Hexagon stencil, let dry
8. Stamp Twirls (Penny Black) with Tide Pool (Hero Arts)
9. Stamp Twirls (Penny Black) with Cup Ol' Joe (Hero Arts)
10. Cut a small piece of cork and adhere to the bottom
11. Apply Washi Tape
12-13. Emboss the birds and branch image (Forever) in gold
14. Use Wink of Stella pen to add fine details on the stamped leaves (in gold and in green)
15. Stamp sentiment and add ribbons (not shown)

I hope that you will be inspired. Please know that you can keep the designs clean and simple like the following:034 
For the recycled materials, I used old lace gloves and rubber band for the accents.
The sky is the limit! 

The challenge will run till the 18th (12:55pm Eastern Time) and there will be a SPOTLIGHT feature on the 25th. In this feature, I will be highlighting a few of the participants' work. We can all be oohing and aahing about a WOW design that deserves to be admired and appreciated. You are encouraged to link up as many as projects as you like. Cards, scrapbook layouts, altered projects... anything with paper, stamps and inks involved are welcome! If the linked project is not related to the challenge, it will be deleted.  Don't have a blog? No problem! Any link (Flickr, FB page, Splitcoaststampers, Pinterest, Two Peas in a Bucket...) is welcome! You can use the challenge photo as your inspiration (optional).


In order to qualify for the top prize ( $25 from Simon Says Stamp)
~your project has to be NEW (not linked back to a previously made project)
~you have to be a follower (you can use Bloglovin') of this blog
~you are welcome to combine other challenges; please limit your total number of challenges to no more than 4.


Our Sponsor: Simon Says Stamp


Our Top Winner (randomly selected from Top 10 Favorites) will receive a $25 voucher!
  AWESOME, eh?! 
http://www.simonsaysstamp.com/servlet/StoreFront



26 comments:

wienerhoneymooners said...

Total Awesomeness inspiration!!!!!!!!!

Vanessa said...

Love the techniques you showed here! Fun challenge, I hope to make something for it!

PStanley said...

Ooh this will definitely challenge me! Nevrr done anything like it. So bummed that I didnt participate last month. Will definitely do so this month!

Dotty Jo x said...

Your work is simply stunning! Jo x

Sheila H said...

Your tags have lovely details and artistic touches, Virginia. I also missed last month, but definitely plan to participate this time.

Yana Smakula said...

oh my! this forces my brain to think hard :)
wonderful challenge, although a difficult one :)
hoping I can come up with something unusual.
Thanks Virginia!

Cindy C. said...

Rubber band on a card!!! You've done it again! That outside the box thinking!!! Beautiful inspirations and easy to follow tutorial, thanks for another enticing challenge Virginia!!

Lin said...

Wonderful challenge, Virginia! And I love your examples, especially that lovely tag. Must put on my thinking cap and come up with some fun recycled items for this!

Barb said...

I'll be looking around the house for anything and everything to use on my project! LOVE your first tag! It's just stunning, Virginia! I have to thank you for always giving us wonderful examples for your themes and for encouraging all of us to just go play! ♥

Vicki Dutcher said...

LOVE the first tag you made -- all those elements together...heaven! Such a fun challenge -- see ya some time this month~ :)

jintyoo7 said...

Oh my goodness, Virginia - what a brilliant challenge. Your examples are mini master pieces. I would never have thought of using a rubber band! Thank you fo rall the marvelous "how-tos" :)

Jeanette M. said...

Wonderful inspiration! I love tags. Thanks for the great tutorials!

LauraJane:) said...

Nice tutorial Virginia! How do you get more than one photo in a square..collage of photos? I LOVE the tag...SCRAPLINGS!! this is gonna be fun!

Barb Ghig said...

Gorgeous tags, Virginia! I'm totally inspired, and I can't wait to get started with my projects!

Thanks so much for another fun challenge! I'm sure it's a LOT of work on your end, and I appreciate it so much!

Isha Gupta said...

Stunning creations Virginia. Love the challenge :)

Shelly said...

Oh, WOW! This is one very cool challenge...and is gonna have me thinking hard! lol ;) Love your tags!!! So much inspiration and FUN! Thank you, Virginia! :)

Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

I just found your website recently and decided to try it out. Blessings!

alexandra s.m. said...

right up my alley!
Count me in Virginia!!

Karen L K said...

Wow what a great challenge! Super idea to use some things that are laying around. I love all the "stuff" on your tag and the instructions were great.

Cris G said...

Such a great and fun idea for a challenge, Virginia. Recycle and upcycle is right up my alley. I'll be inspired soon, I hope :). Love your tag, is just amazing.Thanks for the tutorial, too.

Chark said...

Love this challenge! Your projects are lovely--thanks for the tutorial too!

Andi (RrlScrapGal) said...

Oh my.. What a lovely tag!!! Thank you for the detailed instructions.

MarcyK924 said...

I actually made a scrapling today! It's a little too dark for me to see to take a photo, so I'll post it tomorrow! WOO HOO!! I was inspired for the first time in a very long time!

Rachel said...

i looooove your tag, v! the colors and textures are awesome. im hoping i can play along this afternoon!

Martha said...

OH, Virginia, YAY! I love tags (tag-cards) and scraplings! You've created some lovely tags! Thanks for the inspiration and the fun challenge! I hope I can play along.

Gunilla/Nilla said...

This is such an awesome challange. Wanted so much to take part...made a card BUT missed that it was going to be a tag :(...sooo maybe next time.

Have a lovely day!
Greetings from a sunny Sweden/Gunills