Sunday, March 2, 2014

Virginia's View Challenge # 1

 Welcome to our new challenge blog!  Please make yourself at home. Now that we have a brand new blog, there will be special features and discussions. Yes, this is more than a challenge blog, I want it to be a place that you like to hang out... I am super excited! Yours truly, Virginia
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Happy March, my friends! 
It's another NEW month, new idea and new post here! I have been thinking about having a regular challenge in my little old blog in the last while. It all started right after Cath made her announcement that she is leaving Moxie Fab. I missed Cath and her witty and beautiful posts. One of them was the regular Tuesday Trigger. I miss how the inspiring photo prompted us to make something different and out of our norm. I truly miss that! I am not trying to do what Cath did, but I think we can continue to be inspired by the essence from Tuesday Trigger. So, with that in mind, I am going to try to do a monthly challenge!

Introducing.... Virginia's View Challenge!
On top of the inspiration photo, I will also add a required  technique or element (for example, masking, distressing, embossing....etc.). For this month, I am adding my new latest love-water-coloring!

Why water-coloring, you ask? As a stamper, I have never thought I could/would use water-coloring in stamped cards because I am not artistic and talented enough. However, with some amazing stamps, this goal can be somehow achieved! Last year, water-coloring was all the rage! It can be seen in web designs, fashion, advertisement, packaging...etc. Perhaps I am also craving for colors as it has been a long, miserable and harsh winter here in North America.

These are my humble goals that I am aiming to achieve:
1. to foster the love of stamping/card making among the on line community
2. to grow as a stamper/card-maker regardless of level and experience
3. to make new friends and encourage the camaraderie amongst the participants/blog followers. 


The challenge will run for 3 weeks and there will be a SPOTLIGHT feature on the 25th. In this feature, I will be highlighting a few of the participants' work. We can all be oohing and aahing about a WOW design that needs to be admired and appreciated. You are encouraged to link up as many as projects as you like. Cards, scrapbook layouts, altered projects... anything with paper, stamps and inks involved are welcome! If the linked project is not related to the challenge, it will be deleted.  Don't have a blog? No problem! Any link (Flickr, FB page, Splitcoaststampers...) is welcome! Your project can be inspired by any of the inspiration photos or/and has to do with water-coloring . The sky is the limit!


Sounds good? Here is my latest take on this challenge!a little birdie told me 
Supplies: distress inks, TH water brush by Ranger, Basic Grey paper, gold strings ( Michael's), Hero Arts Stamp, SRM Stickers (bottom sentiment)
Here are my other cards with water-coloring to get you inspired... 
 
I hope this challenge will get your creative juices flowing (with water, of course!!)! 
 Here are a few things that I have learned:
1. plan ahead ( choose your colors and images, if possible)
2. use water-color paper (the thicker ,the better) 
3. do some testing. Play around with some colors and see what suits your design
4. control the amount of water (the more water you add, the less intense the color is).
5. once you have the right paper and paint brushes...you are all set! Just. have. fun.

 If there is enough interest (say, over 10,15, 20...entries), I promise that there will a V.V. Challenge #2 in the works for April and beyond.
Thanks for stopping by!
edited: I have created a Facebook page, you can get the latest update there as well. You can like it here!

44 comments:

MarcyK924 said...

FABULOUS idea!!!! I just can't figure out how to sign up?

Cat Craig said...

Yea! I added you to my bloglovin feed.

Barb said...

Yippee! I am so happy this is such a success, V! ♥

wienerhoneymooners said...

Sucess!!!! Congrats Virginia!

Michelle said...

Haha! Virginia, did you ever have any doubt that your challenge would be a hit? I have made a card, I just have to get around to blogging it. I love your new challenge, and I look forward to VV Challenge #2 and beyond. :-)

Jasleen said...

Wow!! Amazing challenge. All your inspiration cards are fabulous. Would love to play along.

~amy~ said...

Thanks for such gorgeous inspiration Virginia!

Erin (Homemade Cards by Erin) said...

cheers my friend!

Michele Gross said...

Love love love the new blog!!! Huge congrats on your success, this challenge is going to be HUGE!! <3

Lee-Anne said...

Love this challenge format, Virginia! Thanks for the gorgeous inspiration!

Barb Ghig said...

I'm so happy you've started a Challenge Blog, Virginia...and really happy that it's become successful so quickly! I'm working on my submissions right now, and looking forward to future ideas and inspiration! Congrats to you!!!

Linda said...

This is FABULOUS, Virginia! Congratulations with your new challenge blog! I'm still working on my watercolor effort, my entry will follow soon!

Robin K. said...

So happy you've started a challenge blog my friend!! Looking forward to participating in your challenges - really enjoyed the first one:)

Houses Built of Cards said...

SOOOO excited you are doing this - and you couldn't have picked a better first theme (in my opinion anyway!) Yay!

housesbuiltofcards@gmail.com
www.housesbuiltofcards.blogspot.com

Elena C said...

Hi Virginia, I came to you from Desert Diva and it's so exciting to find a NEW challenge blog. And already you have tons of people!!! Congrats!!! Now I have to go make mine and link up. Wishing you well...

aileen (mum) said...

Virginia, what a success. Your first challenge and so many great entries. I think there are a lot of watercolour lovers out there in blog land. Congratulations

Jacqueline said...

So happy you have taken up this challenge, Virginia - thanks so much. Love the theme!

Joni nina Andaya said...

What a Fabulous idea Virginia!!! So Awesome that you put this all together!!! Congratulations :)

Vanessa said...

Yay, how fun!!!

Sue McRae said...

What an exciting new adventure for you Virginia! I can't wait to play along!

Lee-Anne said...

What a wonderful challenge...so happy to play along! Thanks, Virginia!

Greta said...

Good for you, Virginia--making your idea a reality! Love the name, by the way. I see there's lots of people playing along & I'm hoping to get something done to join in. Thanks for the inspiration!

Marlena M. said...

I've seen your challenge pop up Virginia and I am WOWED by the results of your participants "giving it a try". I hope to jump in soon~blessings!

Maria said...

Awesome challenge, congratulations, Virginia! I had lots of FUN with this technique! Thanks so much for the wonderful inspiration!

Marianne said...

Laura Bassen sent me here. Love the idea of this new challenge blog.

Libby Hickson said...

Absolutely swooning over your gorgeous creations Virginia, and all of the beautiful entries so far! I really hope to play along soon!! Watercolor is my favorite! Congratulations on this fun new challenge.

Danielle Vincent said...

Congrats Virginia on your new challenge. You picked a fabulous theme and provided some amazing inspiration. Hope to play along with you often. Hugs D

Kristie Goulet said...

Awesome challenge, Virginia! So happy I could play along. Thank you for the inspiration!

Martha said...

Hi, Virginia! Congratulations on starting this new fun challenge blog! Thanks for the fabulous inspiration you've provided!

I wish you the best!

Lisa Petrella said...

Hooray, Virginia!!! Congrats on your new challenge blog! I love it!!! Your watercolor creations are beautiful! Thank you for the inspiration!!!! I'm going to be traveling for the next few days but hope to try out your watercolor challenge when I return!!!

Kanan Pandya said...

Wonderful challenge Virginia. Thank you for all the inspiration and a huge congratulations on starting this lovely challenge blog!! :-)

Teresa W. said...

Virginia, I finally linked up my projects. Sorry it took so long and some how my cards description showed up instead of my name. I must did something wrong. Oh, well. Thanks for your brand new challenge.

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Best of luck with your new Challenge Blog, Virginia! I enjoyed your first challenge with watercoloring and hope to play along again!

Manuela said...

Wish you also good luck with your new blog, beautiful cards...

Laura Jane said...

200+ entries on your first challenge..I'd say it's a SUCCESS!!!
Congratulations to Virginia's View!

jintyoo7 said...

Fabulous Challenge, Virginia, and I am not really surprised to see the amazing "attendance"! I hope to get in on this action for sure :)

Congratulations!!

Juliana Michaels said...

Wow! So inspired!!! Makes this not really a card maker want to play along too! ;)

Marie said...

The cards that have been submitted are totally awesome! I love checking back daily for new ideas. Congrats Virginia, you have inspired a lot of people with your new challenge. I wouldn't want to narrow these entries down to just five! Good luck and THANK YOU!

aaga said...

I have the 268th entry? Oh, gosh, V, this is beyond success! Congrats!

Cecilia Hsieh said...

Congratulations on your new challenge blog Virginia! Just added the 275th card to the challenge!!

GrĂ¡ O'Neill said...

Fabulous challenge and so many gorgeous entries. Delighted to be a part of your first challenge :)

Kelly Griglione said...

Holy smokes, Virginia!!! I came by to check out how your challenge is going, and it's up to 359 entries!! That has got to be an all-time record, seriously!!! I don't know of any challenge, even the Moxie Fab/Paper Crafts challenges that had that many. Well, I hope you can set aside several days to wade through all the entries ... you're going to need it!! Best of luck : )

ionabunny said...

Congrats. Your first challenge seems to be a run away success. Good luck with picking your favourites.

Katherine said...

Terrific new challenge site & love your watercolor bird card YOU created! I want to feature your card for upcoming Trendy Tuesday post for the blog at Paper Crafters Library. You can ck out the blog here: http://blog.papercrafterslibrary.com/
The post featuring your project will credit you & link back to your blog as well. If you do not wish to be featured, just let me know.