Wednesday, March 19, 2014

.... Grateful for You

We have 359 entries for the first challenge!
Incredibly amazing.
  I am grateful for your participation and enthusiasm.
Can you tell my love for water-coloring?
I bet a lot of you do, too
grateful for you
Supplies: Garden Background (Hero Arts), Hand Written Sentiments ( Simon Says Stamps), Distress Inks (Peacock Feather, Festive Berries, Mowed Lawn, Pickled Raspberry), vellum, black and white embossing Powder (Zing), Paper piercer (Making Memories), light green threads, sequins (Dollar Store) 
Some background stamps are just perfect for water-colors. A little piece of vellum, some hand-stitching and a pretty background, you've got a happy card :)

Since this is a new challenge blog, there are a few issues that I think I need to address. Here are some questions that were raised:

Q: I thought the challenge runs for three weeks...I missed the deadline!
A: I did say (approximately) 3 weeks. However, I apologize that I didn't state it clearly that the challenge runs for 18 days every month.

Q: Given the number of entries, are you considering a design team call soon ?
A: At the moment, I do not plan to have a design team. Every month I will invite top-notch guest designers to design for our challenge blog with specific themes in mind. I consider all the entries from YOU ( the players) as my design team members. I am counting on YOU to inspire, admire and comment on each others' work.

Q: How are you going to pick only Top 5 Favorites? 
A: I know....it is impossible to pick only Top 5 Favorites, especially since we have 359 entries for our first challenge. I will adjust the number of favorites, for instance, I may pick Top 10 Favorites instead. In order to keep the challenge exciting and fun, I will ask my hubby Dr. John for his votes, too ( He has good taste for cards!).

Here was a suggestion from Kelly Griglione:
....WAY TO GO! I think you'll be a wonderful hostess for this monthly challenge. In addition to the spotlighted cards, I think there should be a "Dr. John's pick". How fun and unique would that be?!? I think people would get really excited about that!! He could have his own graphic, and say a sentence about why he likes it. What a unique perspective he would bring. I'd be so interested to hear why a non-card maker is drawn to a particular design (because, after all, most of the cards we send out are probably to non-card makers).

 I hope that you will continue to play and support this challenge blog. There are SO many ideas floating in my head and I can't wait to share them with you in the next few months.  I will have a wrap-up post next. Please scroll down to check out all the awesome entries and leave each other some blog love. This is what this new challenge blog is all about. Thanks for stopping by!

28 comments:

Lesley Croghan said...

Incredible card, Virginia. I can see and feel the love. You are a remarkable person and I think this is a wonderful way to promote learning and to celebrate card makers. Thank you!
Hugs,
Lesley

Jennifer said...

Beautiful card Virginia! What a fun and exciting (and busy time for you). Thank you for making this happen...oh and I love the idea of a Dr. John pick =)

Barb said...

I love your card, V! Your love of watercoloring definitely shines through on this one - so pretty!

Thanks for answering some questions and for making this such a fun place to play and be inspired! I'm grateful for YOU!! ♥

Barb said...

Oh! I totally forgot to say that I think it's such a great idea to have Dr. John pick a favorite card or two also! So fun!! :)

Barb Ghig said...

Such a gorgeous card, Virginia! I love how the water coloring moves around, and gets into the smallest spaces, which is why I think it's so perfect for this design!

I love Kelly's idea about a 'Dr. John Pick' for each challenge!

Lyndal said...

Super card Virginia, super challenge :) Can't wait for the next one!

Lyndal said...

PS I think its FANTASTIC that you thought you might get 20 entries for the entire challenge, and you ended up with almost exactly 20 entries EACH DAY ;)

sandie said...

I loved this challenge Virginia, congrats on its success. I just went to link up a card and hadn't realised it had finished, my mistake but wanted to let you know that it was your butterfly card that inspired me to make a card from my scrap, so thank you,
I gave you a shout, here is the link
http://sandiesandie16.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/addicted-to-stamps-and-more-87.html
Xx

Ingrid said...

Gorgeous card Virginia. LOVE the bright colors. I had so much fun the past few weeks...looking forward to many more.

Craftilicious said...

I love the idea of a Dr John pick too - my husband often loves the cards I make when I hate them!

Lisa's Creative Niche said...

gorgeous cards and congratulations again on the success of this new challenge! :) I also love the idea of a Dr. John pick!

joy said...

Since this is your very first time of hosting a challenge blog, Virginia, you have really inspired the masses! I enjoyed all of the guests you featured this month and the links to videos using watercolor. It is a fabulous idea to have Dr. John's pick, too.

Thank you for your continued inspiration and encouragement to cardmakers everywhere!

Karen said...

great card mf. Such a fun challenge blog...can't wait to see what's coming next!!

CinnamonSally said...

Fun card Virginia, its great to have a new challenge blog each month. Keep up the good work!!!

~amy~ said...

awwww...love your card Virginia!

Love Kelly's suggestions..."Dr. John's Picks"...love it.

Cindy C. said...

Lovely card Virginia! Congrats to an incredible turn out for your first challenge, I had lots of fun playing. Looking forward to the next one, and wishing you all the success on your challenge blog!! Hugs!

Shelly said...

Love your card!!! And I love Kelly's idea! I can't wait to see/hear what you have up your sleeve next! ;) So much fun!

Janet a.k.a. swanlady21 said...

This card is so vibrant and fun. Love it!

artful-notions said...

Beautifully bold watercolor Virginia.
Thank you for your blog challenge. Can't believe my eyes seeing all the wonderful entries!
And love the idea of sharing your burden with your husband, the dr.! Such fun!

Jacqueline said...

What a gorgeous card, Virginia. I didn't even know this stamp existed and it is Hero Arts too!

Cris G said...

Love all the (water)colors on your card, Virginia. I have been "out" for a few days and now, returning to the fun, I was very surprised for two reasons:
1- I didn't know there was so many entries... gosh, it looks like the MFW!
2- I too, missed the deadline... I thought the challenge would run for a longer period. I was planning of making another card...
Now I'll just have to wait for the next trend :).
It will be fun and different to hear Dr. John's opinion :).

conil said...

Kelly's suggestion is perfect for this kind of sharing if Dr. John is willing. It also means you wouldn't have to do all the decision making. I, personally, love the idea of having this blog just for the joy of it.

Tracey McNeely said...

Awesome card and you know I will love and support you through this journey. A Dr. John feature would be the best V!

diana said...

But if Dr John gets a pick, shouldn't Ryan have one, too? Maybe he could have be a random number pick to win. LOL

Laura Jane said...

How did you use so many colors without them getting muddy?
I had a FABULOUS time stopping by many of the entries of the 1st challenge. It's as if I've been to a class of different techniques in water-coloring:)
Looking forward to MANY more challenges here!

Katie Ann Brooks said...

LOVE your card V! Great questions and answers, and Kelly's suggestion is a good one! I will be here to play and support you my friend! :)

Sheila H said...

Your card is spectacular, Virginia! I think it's a great idea to include Dr. John. I always enjoy his witty words :)

keren said...

Beauteous card!! I have to say a 'Dr.John pick' could be the ultimate prize- the accolade we all want! x