Friday, March 21, 2014

A Wrap-Up

Thank you for all the amazing entries for our first challenge! As you can tell, from the number of entries (359 in total) , it is a smashing success! I am overwhelmed by the enthusiasm that you have shown me and the encouragement that comes through your words and actions!

Today's post highlights a few of the entries that I had come across. These entries deserve some love and attention all of their own. Our Feature Spotlight (coming up on the 25th) will be the last event before we embark on next month's theme!
I have compiled the submitted projects into a few categories:

 1. Use water-colors as background colors: this is probably the simple yet most effective way to create a quick card. Most of you have created gorgeous cards with this technique. Here are a few beautiful examples to inspire you. 
 2. Use water-coloring as the medium for coloring the image: this technique really plays up to the challenge. Here are some of the gorgeous examples.
3. Use water-coloring with diecut: this is one lovely and innovative technique! The various diecut with the different shades of water-coloring really make the designs shine!

 4. Paint with water-colors: some of you are so brave and try painting with water-coloring (no stamping!!). They are most original and beautiful!



















5. Apply watercolors with stamped, dry-embossed, emboss-resist,  stenciled background: this is the most popular approach for all stampers. This option provides the most satisfying and happy results.
















 


6. Bright and vibrant water-colored background: without a doubt, this is the most immediate and effective way to convey the sense of happiness, love and hope.



















7. Subtle and muted water-coloring: These sophisticated cards are fine examples of "Less is More". 

























 8. Create a scene card with water-colors: each one of these artistic card should be framed and admired. A lot of  love, care and attentions went into these designs.
 

















I think these 8 categories pretty much sum up the amazing entries. Of course, there are quite a few that do not fit into any of these categories. I know I miss mentioning all of your beautiful work that also are in these categories. I encourage you to check them out and comment on the entries before/after yours. One of the goals of this challenge is to make new friends and encourage the camaraderie amongst the participants/blog followers. I know you will help me in that department!

Our Spotlight Feature is coming up on the 25th. See you then!

Yours truly, Virginia


 

23 comments:

sandie said...

Thank you for highlighting my attempt at painting!!

Marie said...

Thanks for highlighting the different categories, Virginia. This shines a whole new light on all the marvelous cards. I see different cards each time I visit. You have really opened 'Pandoras Box'! I am very, very honored to see my card in one of your categories, thank you!

~amy~ said...

awesome picks...love how much inspiration there is!

Lyndal said...

Absolutely amazing gallery - a fabulous future reference for watercolouring of every description!
Thank you so much for highlighting another two of my cards Virginia! Can't wait for the next challenge :)

Ellie Knol said...

LOVE how you did the wrap-up!

Cindy C. said...

Virginia great job categorizing all these amazing entries! And it's such a delight to see all the beautiful cards, they made me want to play more with my water colours!!!

Lesley Croghan said...

Love the different categories you highlighted, Virginia! So much beautiful inspiration here! So much to try!!!

donna mikasa said...

359 entries?? And I bet it could have gone on and on and on....I love how you categorized them and to me, they are ALL winners!

Jacqueline said...

You did a wonderful Virginia's view wrap-up Virginia - what a neat idea to categorize them! Looking forward to the next challenge!

Shelly said...

Just look at all the beautiful cards!!! Lovin' them all and such inspiration! :)

joy said...

The response to this challenge was just STUPENDOUS, Virginia! I love looking at all of the cards and I like the way you highlighted the different ways of using watercolor. Thank you for featuring one of my cards; I am thrilled!

Can't wait to see what's up your sleeve for the next challenge!!!

onelayercards said...

Virginia, it couldn't have been an easy task for you to go through all 359 and come up with 8 main categories! Your first challenge is simply brimming with inspiration and I'm so glad to be a part of it. Thank you so much for highlighting 2 of my entries. No doubt your second challenge is going to be a success as well -- I can't wait for it!

Hugs,
Shery

Marie said...

I have been visiting many of the blogs and leaving comments on the beautiful entries. So many blogs...so little time. Congrats on the wonderful participation for your first challenge. While visiting blogs I noticed that some of the cards have been submitted to multiple challenges. Will the 'no more than 4' remain in effect?

Virginia Lu said...

Thanks so much for everyone's support and comment.

To answer Marie's question: I am aware of players submitting to multiple challenges (more than 4). It is hard for me to monitor due to the number of entries. However, when choosing winners, I will make sure the winning entries are new projects ( made after the challenge announcement date-first day of the month) and that they do not exceed more than 4 combined challenges.

Hope this answers your question. Thanks again for being such a great supporter of this challenge blog!

Robin K. said...

Loved the way you categorized your pics Virginia! So looking forward to the next challenge!

Loly Borda-Towery said...

I'm so happy for you on the success of your first challenge Virginia, and I'm amazed that you visited and commented in each of them! Wow! And the cherry on top is that you created those eight categories, there is really tons of inspiration in this place. Kudos to you!

Laura Norris said...

What a success Virginia! You should be proud that so many people linked up to your first challenge. I loved the wrap up post - so fun to see them all categorized. And I was surprised and happy to see one of my cards shown :) Thank you for all the time and effort you have put into this - can't wait for the next challenge!

onelayercards said...

Hi, Virginia! Question about the maximum number of challenges we could enter: Will entries submitted before 3/10 still qualify or be in the running if they were submitted to more than 4 challenges? I noticed that the "limit of 4 challenges" was mentioned only on 3/10, not before, and a lot of us (me included!) love combining more than 4 challenges. (I make sure I follow the entry limit for challenges I enter, though, before I link up.)

Virginia Lu said...

Hi Shery, thanks for the question. Since this is the first challenge and there were obviously some oversights about combining challenges, I will not be too strict on combining challenges (this time only). You can rest assured that the combined entries will be considered for winning. Hope this helps!

Kim M said...

Wow, what inspiration! Great job on the wrap up Virginia. Great job overall! But really, can we expect any less? You are one amazing lady! Thanks ever so much for choosing one of my cards to highlight. So very honored! :-). Hugs!

MarcyK924 said...

Thanks for highlighting my little scraplings, V! I am so darn happy for all the excitement and participation in your new challenge blog!!! What a difficult decision you have ahead of you! I hope Dr. John weighs in!!! I can't wait to see what's in store for the next one!

lynda said...

I just discovered your new blog when seeing it referenced in the Papercrafter's Library blog. I'm so glad to have found it! I really like how you categorized the different ways to use watercolor.

Helen J said...

Thanks for including both my cards in the wrap up - considering how many stunning cards there were in the challenge, I'm flattered & surprised!